Cacao Nib Hot Chocolate
Total Preparation & Cooking Time: 50 Minutes
- 6 ounces 70% bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ounce cacao nibs
- 3 ounces sugar
- 16 ounces whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 ounces water
- In a spice grinder, pulse the cacao nibs until coarsely chopped, preferably 3 to 4 times. Place the nibs in a microwave-safe measuring cup, preferably 1-quart & then add in the milk. Microwave until the milk reaches 160 F, for couple of minutes, preferably on high settings. Steep for half an hour, preferably at room temperature.
- In the meantime, combine chocolate together with the water, salt & sugar in a French press carafe, preferably 1-liter; set aside.
- You are done with the steeping process, put the nib-milk mixture again to the microwave & heat until it starts simmering, for couple of minutes, preferably on high.
- Using a fine-mesh strainer; strain the hot nib-milk mixture into the French press carafe; set aside for a minute and then stir until the milk & chocolate well combined. Pump the plunger of the French press to froth & aerate, preferably 10 to 15 times. Serve immediately